<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, April 03, 2004

Once again it's time to pack up my life into my big green rucksack, I've accumulated a lot of stuff here in Cairns, my guitar and music books, dive mask, snorkel, dive books, and loads of other things that just won't fit in. It's really sad to be leaving here, Steve, Pete and Cheryl who run the hostel have become like surrogate parents for all of us backpackers. There has been the same tight knit bunch of friends in the hostel for the past few weeks, it'll be sad to leave this place.
I had my last trip on the boat yesterday, a beautiful day with nice rough seas on the way home to make the sail more interesting. When it's like that the best thing to do is to sit at the 'Titanic' seat at the front of the boat to feel the warm breeze and the salty splashes in your face. I had my last dive for a while, at least until I get enough cash to pay for one or another job that gives me free dives. Working on the 'Seahorse' has been the most fun and lowest paid job I've ever had, I'll look back in years to come in disbelief at how I've spent the past 3 months.
I've become accustomed to the heat here in Cairns and don't know how I'm going to cope with less than 30' temps as I travel down the coast towards the autumnal conditions of Byron Bay. I'm trying to learn some blues guitar as we'll be going to the Blues and roots festival in Byron, hopefully I'll be able to hook up with a few of the original Cairns crowd and the Sydney Posse. I had a farewell feast in Yanni's, the Greek Taverna where I worked, there were about 30 of us there between the boat crew, the hostel crowd and all the locals I've met here, It was a nice change to be eating out rather than serving people and good to get to say goodbye to everyone.
I'll get back to packing everything (including my guitar and a now very extensive repetoir of travel songs) into Flynns Kombi van in preparation for our imminent departure from yet another place I've come to call home. It's time to start a new adventure!




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?